Sunday, May 12, 2013

What is the Difference between Mediterranean Food and Greek Food?



Good question. I happen to be the right person to answer the question since I was born and raised in the Mediterranean until age 13. I am Bulgarian/Macedonian and Greek Orthodox. In my life there, I have eaten plenty of Falafels, Shawarma, and Hummus. These days I am the Owner of the Colfax Greek Bistro in Colfax, Ca. serving Falafels, Gyros¸ Hummus plus Spanakopita, Dolmas, Baklava and Turkish coffee.

So which of those above are Mediterranean and which are Greek? A good Quiz!

Here is my dictionary with the correct answers to the questions.
Gyros are Greek and the Mediterranean form is Shawarma. The meat, whether beef, lamb, combination of both or chicken is placed on a rotisserie ‘stacked’ horizontally. The Gyros are made with the meats ‘blended’ in the shape of a cone that is placed on a rotisserie.

What about Falafels? They are completely Mediterranean. 

What about Hummus sauce which is made of garbanzo beans? Mediterranean. 

What about the Tzatziki sauce which is homemade at the Colfax Greek Bistro? It is totally Greek. The Mediterranean Shawarma has a slightly different yogurt sauce.

What about Spanakopita? They are Greek and what is interesting is that the Mediterranean equivalent is called Fatayer. Both are triangles filled with spinach and feta cheese but the Spanakopita uses the thin Filo dough and the Fatayer uses regular dough.  
Dolmas are both Greek and Mediterranean. Grape leaves, stuffed with herbed rice. They can be vegetarian or can have seasoned ground meat. Allspice is the favorite spice of the Mediterranean variety. I helped my Mom make them on many occasions which brings sweet memories.

Baklava is both. I am often asked about HOW to SAY it. Is it BAKlava, or BakLAVA? In Arabic (my first language) I learned to call it the latter and to make it more interesting, the word is really BakLAWA.

Finally, Turkish coffee. Customers often ask me, what IS Turkish coffee? I describe it best as ‘Espresso but sweet instead of bitter.” Being the youngest of the family, I was the ‘designated’ Turkish coffee maker when we guests arrived. I have sweet memories of my mother giving me a step stool to be able to reach the stove level. What is Greek coffee? It is more bitter and resembles Espresso in flavor.

Come and enjoy all this good food in Colfax at the Colfax Greek Bistro.


Elan Vitkoff
Like us on Facebook
 

5 comments:

  1. I have just recently been introduced to Mediterranean cuisine and love it. It is a lot like Greek food with slight variances but still fresh, full of flavor, healthy and mostly gluten free. I've grown weary of American foods, my body loves this new change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Official work detail you can see or observe through essay service because when you want to write some thing about national office you have to consult that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your writing style, great information, thankyou for posting. Pita Way Warren

    ReplyDelete